On Thursday, May 28, 2020, the country witnessed thousands of new patients and many deaths from Covid-19, but the government has expressed a sight of “satisfaction,” saying there is no need for an immediate plan to go for a stricter lockdown.
Information Minister Shibli Faraz said to a news channel after attending a meeting presided over by Prime Minister Imran Khan – the meeting was about reviewing the COVID-19 situation and locust attack that recently happened in the country. He also informed that there were reports from big metropolitan cities about the load on a handful of hospitals due to an increase in the number of Covid-19 patients. Still, the situation and conditions in hospitals overall were under-control and satisfactory.
He said that all the participants, including the prime minister, were updated on the state of preparedness in the country’s hospitals, along with the facts and figures of coronavirus patients in the country.
In response to a question regarding the increased pressure on hospitals, the minister said that the load on few hospitals was not only from because of the COVID-19 but also from the general trend in public to go to one or two known hospitals of the city; according to him, some of these hospitals have 60 percent occupancy now.
Mr. Faraz revealed that 161 out of 404 critical patients are on ventilators in the country, which means they still had a large number of ventilators. There is no need to be panicked about as “we are comfortably placed and well-equipped.”
The minister also assured that the number of Covid-19 patients are still less than what had previously been estimated. Answering a question regarding the violations of SOPs (standard operating procedures) by the public, he said there was no decision to implement a “strict lockdown” in the country.